Learn to Ice Climb (I1) Course
Student to Guide Ratio — 6:1
Schedule a date that suits you (2 days)
375 / Person
Based on min 4 Participants
Sat, Dec 12/20 - Sun, Dec 13/20 (2 days)
375 / Person
Learn to Ice Climb is designed for those with no previous waterfall ice climbing experience, including rock climbers and mountaineers. You will learn how to use the equipment, the foundations of ice climbing movement, and the basics of top rope climbing applied to waterfall ice including anchor building using ice screws and v-threads, and rappelling.
Expect to Learn
At PeakStratagem our mission is to teach you the skills to be competent, confident and independent in the backcountry. Our detailed curriculums break down complex skill sets into individual building blocks for progressive learning. After learning the building blocks, you will practice the skill sets with your course team while being coached by our guides.
Develop basic ice climbing movement and technical systems for safe and efficient progression into the sport.
Learn to Ice Climb Objectives
- Confident identifying environmental hazards when top roping.
- Confident wearing a helmet, harness, boots, and crampons.
- Confident walking in crampons on low angle terrain.
- Confident belaying and tying a rewoven Figure 8 knot.
- Comfortable climbing using A-frame technique.
- Comfortable building ice screw and v-thread anchors.
- Comfortable tying a Clove hitch.
- Comfortable removing ice screws.
- Comfortable rappelling with a back-up.
- Comfortable tying a Prusik hitch.
- Comfortable tying an Overhand knot.
- Understand how to coil a rope.
- Understand clothing systems for ice climbing.
- Understand waterfall ice grades.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Take Learn to Lead Ice (I2), Steep Ice Technique (I4), or AST1 for Iceclimbers.