Multipitch Ice Climbing Systems (I3) Course
Student to Guide Ratio — 4:1
Schedule a date that suits you (2 days)
375 / Person
Based on min 4 Participants
Learn to Lead Multipitch Waterfall Ice teaches the basics of multipitch climbing on waterfall ice. It is designed for those who are confident lead climbing WI3-4 waterfall ice and who want to progress to longer waterfalls. You will learn the multipitch system including belaying a second, rope management, transitions, route selection, and multiple rappel descents
Develop multipitch ice climbing skills for safe and efficient travel on multipitch ice climbing routes.
- Confident identifying environmental hazards when multipitch lead climbing.
- Confident setting up the harness for lead climbing.
- Confident placing and removing ice screws using the supported and A-frame stances.
- Confident tool testing, tool swapping, and resting on lead.
- Confident executing the NoFall Program for Ice ClimbingTM and preventing falls.
- Confident building ice anchors and v-threads, cleaning anchors, and rappelling with a back-up.
- Confident assessing waterfall ice grades.
- Comfortable with the lead climbing system.
- Comfortable with route selection and lead climbing strategy.
- Comfortable tying off the belay.
- Understand the multipitch lead climbing system.
- Understand route selection and lead climbing strategy on a multipitch climb.
- Perform multipitch lead climbing and rappelling on WI3 terrain.
- Discuss route selection including where to place belays.
- Confident belaying a lead climber.
- Confident top roping WI4 and leading single pitch WI3 terrain.
- Confident walking in crampons on low angle terrain.
- Confident climbing using A-frame technique.
- Confident building simple anchors using ice screws.
- Confident building v-thread anchors.
- Confident coiling a rope.
- Confident choosing the right clothing system for ice climbing.
- Confident tying the following knots: Figure 8, Rewoven Figure 8, Figure 8 on a Bight, Overhand, Slippery Overhand.
- Confident tying the following hitches: Clove, Prusik.
*Prerequisites are recommended for an optimum learning opportunity.
If you have questions about how your experience relates to the prerequisites, please contact us at email@example.com.